Saturday, March 12, 2011

Mona Rocks the Metals

I took one look at this artist and fell head over heels in love with her artwork.  Monaslampwork creates stunning glass beads with bursts of color.  But what makes her pieces stand out among the myriad of other glass artists is her design style: copper, metals, earthy tones, organic shapes.  You won't find a bead surrounded by layered hammered copper bead caps very often, and she does those unbelievably well.  All she needs is a simple copper chain to finish it off.  (all images copyrighted to the artist)

Stunning!  I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this.  I don't know what it is about those layered copper bead caps, but it definitely hits my artistic sweet spot.  Combining it with the blue is wonderful, and provides a spark of color where a more muted tone would have washed out the piece.  The bead itself is simple, which lets the surrounded design be more complicated without marring the overall effect.  Putting it on a copper chain lets it speak for itself.
I love this color combination, and the metallic sheen that the beads carry.  I'm a fan of dots (who isn't these days?), and I like how each bead is different while all utilizing the dot.  Making a bracelet or a necklace out of these would be a snap, and you'd have a conversation piece.  Having the raised dots also adds nice texture. 
I adore how she wrapped the rope through the bead hole.  It's a different spin on an old shape, and it lets the dots on the side be seen.  Note the background too - she's very good at positioning the piece over a stone without letting the stone detract from the piece. 
I love these!  They look like she just uncovered them in the sands of some long forgotten land.  The one on the left is my favorite, it reminds me of an eye :)  Again, her natural color combinations are fantastic and, even better, will match almost anything.  That's another thing I like about her color choices - very few are restricted to one or two matching colors, even those with one predominate color.  She uses a muted tone, or a mixture of color.  This is very desirable, if the beads can go with multiple outfits.  

Head on over here to check out her store right now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment